Switching to real foods and cutting out junk will be good for me. I've had too many health problems since I had Maya, and they're only getting worse. Despite being in a weight loss challenge, I cannot lose this babyweight. I keep losing & gaining the same 3 pounds. Still addicted to pepsi and have a tendency to binge on chips, pasta, or other carbs. So I will cut them all out, get back to healthy foods, keep a food diary while I do this, and determine what kinds of foods affect me how and what my emotional triggers are (anger and stress for sure).
I've been a busy little bee today! First, I did some healthy shopping this weekend. Had to travel to Rolla to get the memorial tree (we finally laid mom's ashes to rest this weekend - more on that probably coming another time), so I picked up a few hard-to-find items at the health food store while out there. Priced other hard-to-find items that I couldn't countenance spending this weekend. Then I made a meal plan that I am quite proud of (which you can see here: http://www.mealplanning.livejournal.com/125047.html), and I sent Josh to the store for a few items I realized I needed after finding better recipes than what I'd considered.
I did SO MUCH prep today, but that will help me stick with it. Here's what I did to prepare for Week 1:
- Made homemade veggie broth
- Made homemade beef broth
- Made salsa (I messed up here! I added my customary secret ingredient – shhhh – of tequila before I remembered that alcohol was a no-no! But I haven't had my delicious salsa in far too long, so I didn't scrap it. Won't hurt much.)
- Made Soy Sauce Substitute (Technically this one is cheating as well, because it has molasses, but the added sugar comes out to 1.5 g per serving, and I felt having decent flavors to switch things up was essential to my success. And a lot of their healthy sauce suggestions just cost way too much money.)
- Made Paleo-Mayo - I used this recipe because coconut oil & EVOO were the only approved oils that I had in the house, but I definitely see why they say to use light olive oil instead of EVOO. It's way strong. Will have to get light olive oil next time.
- Steam/Sautéed carrots, zucchini, snap peas, and green and red bell peppers to have on hand as needed.
- Boiled up a batch of Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, which worked fabulously on our Americauna (green) eggs but no so swell on our Buckeye and Welsummer eggs (the brown ones) even though they were not fresh.
- Cooked up 3 chicken breasts for recipes and 'emergency protein'. Was also supposed to do sausage, but that didn't work out. I'm ready and can't wait for my chicken/avocado salad for breakfast in the morning!
I also bought several organic teas and restarted my water kefir. The grains have been in the freezer for just over a year, so I hope they're still alive!
I'm really excited about this new challenge! I have a couple of friends who are thinking of doing it with me, and I'd love buddies if anyone is interested! I'll keep you posted on how it goes.