Some of them are started by phishers (one of which hit me last night on YIM, so if you get a message from 'me' telling you to check out some site - DON'T!)
Your red flags should go up if they ask you to fill in personal information such as full names, birthdates, street name/address, mother's maiden name (HUGE red flag there! Credit card scammers!), first pet's names/high schools/childhood heroes (or similar questions asked by email providers when changing/retrieving passwords).
While you are distracted with sharing your favorite color, what super power you'd like to have, and whether or not anyone on your f-list has a crush on you, spammers/hackers/phishers are jotting down all the necessary info needed to begin identity theft & fraud (and yes, with a full name and street addy, they can get your social security number).
NEVER give out personal or identifying information online!
That said, I'm going to do this meme anyway - changing everything I'm not comfortable sharing.
The Name Game:
1. YOUR SPY NAME: (middle name and
2. YOUR MOVIE STAR NAME: (grandfather/grandmother on your dad's side, your favorite candy)
3. YOUR RAP NAME: (first initial of first name,
4. YOUR GAMER TAG: (a favorite color, a favorite animal)
5. YOUR SOAP OPERA NAME: (middle name,
6. YOUR STAR WARS NAME: (first 3 letters of your
Bla Lli Ach
7. JEDI NAME: (middle name spelled backwards,
8. PORN STAR NAME: (
9. SUPERHERO NAME: ("The", your favorite color, the automobile your mom drives)
The Silver Yellowthing
10. YOUR ACTION HERO NAME: (first name of a main character in the last movie you watched, last food you ate)